So you didn't organize and plan your time appropriately for holiday shopping? Don't be too down on yourself. Christmas is a time for giving and giving thanks, which doesn't have to equal extravagant gifts that drain your wallet and start your 2014 off in debt. Give the gift of entertainment with these affordable digital gifts the whole family will enjoy.
Whether you're shopping for an avid gamer, bike lover, or tech junkie, these pieces prove that even the most practical items can have design appeal! Capturing some of our favorite trends in the tech and interiors world, these gifts are sure to please any style-savvy geek.
Get in the kitchen and try making one of these delicious — and healthy — pet-friendly recipes, which are so much easier than you think to pull off. All of these treats are made from basic ingredients and come together in no time. From homemade chicken jerky to delicious dog biscuits, we've got the perfect goodies to make for your favorite furry friend.
The Sierra filter was used to shoot this scene of Christmas trees by Instagram user mollyfast, who submitted the photo with the #CoolCapture hashtag.
Have you been testing out your photography skills and snapped a shot you want to share? Submit your pics to our Cool Capture group or to Instagram with the #CoolCapture hashtag, and your pic might be featured on the POPSUGAR Tech homepage! And don't forget to follow @POPSUGARTech on Instagram!
The piece: KitchenAid Custom Metallic 5-Qt. Mixer
The price: $600, originally $650
Why we want it: It's no secret we're copper crazy, so you can image how excited we were to move from pots and pans to something completely unexpected. Besides the fact that it would pair perfectly with our fantasy kitchen lighting, this warm metallic mixer is the type of cooking equipment that design buffs and foodies can embrace — and heck, even leave out on the counter. It's the same reliable KitchenAid you grew up with (just take a peek at the ratings), only in a much chicer package. Even if your cookies never taste as good as grandma's, this flashy model will ensure you look good while you're making them!
Use felt from the craft store for making hand warmers that are just about the best thing ever on a cold day. All you need is a needle, thread, and a bag of rice for making these cute helpers that also make special handmade gifts. And this DIY is so easy and can be made with old sweaters or flannels, which is a great way to give old clothes a new life.
If you're the not-so-proud owner of a defunct fireplace, consider yourself lucky! Pepper Design blogger Morgan created a fireplace facade so beautiful, it almost trumps the warmth of a crackling fire. The best part? Even if your fireplace works, you can still capture the look of perfectly stacked logs using a trick that allows you to remove them in seconds.
Her secret? Adhering log slices in varying lengths to a piece of black-painted plywood. Genius! Now Morgan can keep her perfectly assembled stacked-log facade intact while still being able to easily remove it whenever she wants. Check out Pepper Design Blog for the steps to create your own!
In between all the mingling and prep, superheroine hostesses don't have time to tend to party tunes while the actual festivities are going on. So commandeer the entertainment from wherever you are in your home with mobile apps that turn iPhones, iPads, and Android devices into interactive, multitasking remote controls.
- Remote by Apple (free) — Version 3.0 was just released, and the app for iPhone, iPod, and iPad is now optimized to work in sync with iTunes 11. Add new songs to the queue on your Mac, PC, or Apple TV. Change songs, choose playlists, or browse your entire library from anywhere in your home.
- Xbox SmartGlass for iOS, Android, and Windows 8 (free) — The interactive companion app to Xbox helps turn the gaming console into a complete entertainment hub. Phones, tablets, and Windows 8 computers can control media on Xbox 360 by pausing/rewinding movies, surfing the web, or navigating Xbox Music.
- Media Remote by Sony for iPhone and Android (free) — Blu-ray disc players and BRAVIA devices will work seamlessly with this app, which features a simple gesture-controlled remote, a full remote, a qwerty keyboard, and a "now playing" bar.
- Logitech Harmony Link for iPad and Android (free) — Live TV content can be controlled from your tablet, with the same smart activity-based settings as the Harmony remote like "Watch a Movie" or "Listen to Music." It controls up to eight devices from thousands of brands and uses simple gestures for common commands.
- Peel Smart Remote for Galaxy Tab (free) — The Galaxy Tab's infrared capability allows the device, with the Peel app installed, to manage any TV, cable/satellite box, DVD player, Blu-ray player, or AV audio system remotely.