Betsey Johnson won a special CFDA Award in 1989 — but she said her best memory of the CFDA Fashion Awards was winning a trophy that the council didn't even give out. "My favorite memory was when my daughter Lulu and my first husband, John Cale of The Velvet Underground, presented me with an invented CFDA award called The Tiniest Talent," she said Monday night, with Lulu standing right beside her. Johnson also talked about the ceremony where she met Yves Saint Laurent and why the CFDA Fashion Awards could use more comedy.
Betsey Johnson is a legendary fashion designer, and now you can get a glimpse inside her crazy life when she takes the reality-TV world by storm with her new show on the Style Network, XOX, Betsey Johnson. The show stars Betsey along with her daughter, Lulu, and documents their trials and tribulations. Needless to say, you can expect a lot of action from these two. Both Betsey and Lulu stopped by our studio to chat, so watch on to hear them dish about the show — and enjoy a few laughs along the way. And don't forget to check out XOX, Betsey Johnson when it premieres on Sunday, May 12 at 8 p.m. on the Style Network. On Allison: BCBG Max Azria jacket, Parker skirt.
Those stories and more in our daily news roundup.
- "Are you kidding? If you have a social conscience, you have to vote Obama," declared Tom Ford at a fundraiser for the president's campaign in London, which he cohosted with Anna Wintour. [WWD]
- Tommy Hilfiger will partner with hotelier Vikram Chatwal when Chatwal acquires 30 percent of the historic Plaza Hotel in New York City, according to reports. Should Hilfiger ever have to deal with the hotel's business directly, it'll be an easy commute to the office: he and his wife Dee already live there. [Page Six]
- Calvin Klein tapped blogger Greta Larkins of FashGif to create moving images of the brand's Spring 2013 collection for its Tumblr. Our favorite so far is a black dress whose breast panels move up and down its shoulder straps. [Styleite]
- The apple never falls that far from the tree. Betsey Johnson's daughter Lulu is staring her own fashion line, called Lulu and Allison, for "women who still want to be hip, sexy, and cool." [Racked]
- For a fashion person, Erin Wasson doesn't shop much for garments. "I shop a lot more for furniture than I do for clothes," she says. "I much prefer going to an antique shop full of obscurities." [Elle.com]
Photo: President Obama and the first lady, wearing Tom Ford, at a dinner at Buckingham Palace in May 2011.