Athletic-inspired pieces with a 1970s bend made up Miuccia Prada's Resort 2013 collection. Shown on a high-gloss, starkly lit runway (the same one Prada used for her Men's Spring 2013 collection a few days later), these racing-stripe tanks, wide-bottomed trousers, colorblocked furs, and banded polos would have felt right at home on a luxed-up version of Bjorn Borg's court — right down to the striped sweatbands and square gym bags that finished each look.
Posts for June 26th 2012
The '70s style of David Bowie and the paintings of Gustav Klimt inspired the form-fitting, metallic-patterned Alexander McQueen Resort 2013 collection. After a few seasons of showing little other than intensely detailed dresses and gowns, Sarah Burton said she "wanted to bring everything back to the body." She accomplished that by pairing generously lapeled, torso-hugging blazers with lean, boot-cut trousers and by cinching those menswear-inspired looks with wide belts. Many of the dresses got the same belted treatment but featured fabrics and treatments — like an art deco metallic jacquard or intricate gold embroidery — that helped serve as a feminine response to the collection's more masculine pieces.
Summer wardrobe need a little kick? Marc Jacobs's Pre-Fall 2012 accessories — rolling into stores now — may be just the thing. With structured shapes, minimalistic detailing, crisp hues, and loads of texture (the quilted snakeskin and printed calfskins are particularly fetching), these bags are sure to look sweet now — and straight through Fall. Some of our favorites, in the slideshow.
Those stories and more in our daily news roundup.
- Carine Roitfeld will release a preview of her new magazine CR Fashion Book as an insert in the upcoming issue of V Magazine, on newsstands July 5. The insert, called Issue 0, features Sebastian Faena's photography. Take a look at a behind-the-scenes video of Issue 0's creation here. [The Cut]
- Speaking of magazines, Gisele Bundchen will appear on the cover of the July issue of Vogue Brasil. Patrick Demarchelier reportedly shot the graffiti-inspired cover and editorial in early June, around the same time rumors of Bundchen's second pregnancy first surfaced. [Made in Brazil]
- The Alexander McQueen pieces featured in Daphne Guinness's clothing auction at Christie's are set to receive the highest bids tomorrow night. "The dresses and shoes offered here are classic McQueen," said the auction's curator Pat Frost. [Vogue UK]
- Teen Vogue will release an app for the iPhone and iPod touch this week called Teen Vogue Insider, which will give readers access to exclusive content and discounts at retailers like Clinique and H&M. [PR Newswire]
- Francisco Costa, Italo Zucchelli, and Ulrich Grimm — who designs Calvin Klein's shoes and accessories — are all recipients of the Accessory Council's designer of the year award this year. [WWD]
- Net-a-Porter opened its first office outside of the United Kingdom this week with a ribbon-cutting ceremony at its new headquarters in New York City. It also opened a distribution center in Mahwah, NJ, and plans to open an office in Hong Kong next year. [Catwalk Queen]