It's hard to believe so many glam-packed events could happen in just one week. The New York City Ballet Spring Gala brought out a well-dressed crowd that included Natalie Portman in navy Christian Dior and a very chic — and pregnant — Drew Barrymore in Resort 2012 Chanel. Burberry brought the fash pack — including Alexa Chung and Derek Blasberg — out for an intimate dinner hosted by Cara Delevingne at New York's New Museum, while in Los Angeles, an astonishing amount of parties and premieres brought super-chic moments from Emma Roberts, Michelle Pfeiffer, Chloé Grace Moretz, and Doetzen Kroes. All those, plus our very favorite looks from the week's main event — the Met Gala — right here, in our best-of-the-week slideshow.
Posts for May 11th 2012
One of Gisele Bundchen's first activities as the face of David Yurman was to hang out on a beach in Malibu while Peter Lindbergh photographed her wearing Yurman's creations.
The resulting images will be used for the brand's Fall 2012 campaign, which draws on the inviting simplicity of California beaches for inspiration. Watch Bundchen pose on the beach in the video below, then take a sneak peek at the ads in the gallery.
Photos Courtesy of David Yurman
- Rihanna's second collection for Emporio Armani has been revealed — or at least the sketches of it have.
Those stories and more in our daily news roundup.
- Rihanna's second collection for Emporio Armani has been revealed — or at least the sketches of it have. The collection will include tartan-trimmed denim shorts and a distressed denim jumpsuit. "She captures the young and contemporary essence of Emporio Armani Underwear and Armani Jeans perfectly," said Giorgio Armani. [Fashion Etc.]
- Carine Roitfeld is putting together a staff for her new magazine, CR Fashion Book. So far, she's hired former Teen Vogue accessories director Shiona Turini and stylist Michaela Dosamantes, who was most recently a contributing fashion and market editor for Vogue.it. [The Cut]
- Giorgio Armani has revealed the Olympic uniforms he designed for Italy's national team. The 50-piece collection includes everything from tracksuits to suitcases and was designed under his EA7 Emporio Armani sportswear line. [Vogue UK]
- Abbey Lee Kershaw and Edita Vilkeviciute join Tom Cruise on the May cover of W magazine. Cruise is dressed (well, tattooed, anyway) as his character from the upcoming movie Rock of Ages, and Kershaw and Vilkeviciute stand in as glamorous groupies. [Fashion Gone Rogue]
Photo Courtesy of W magazine.
Cameras have been following Carine Roitfeld during the creation of her new magazine CR Fashion Book, and the footage will be turned into a documentary called Mademoiselle C.
Roitfeld has reportedly given director Fabien Constant "unprecedented access" to her entire life over the past few months, and he and his crew will continue filming right up until the first issue of CR Fashion Book debuts this September. The film doesn't have a release date yet, but it has already been characterized as "a lot of fun" and will include interviews with Tom Ford, Donatella Versace, and the endlessly quotable Karl Lagerfeld.
Constant and Roitfeld have worked together before — last year, he filmed her appointments during couture week to create a short film for W magazine.
Christian Louboutin's first major brand expansion is a luxury beauty line set for worldwide release in late 2013.
The new venture, Christian Louboutin Beauté, is still in its infancy, and Louboutin has been reticent about which product categories he plans to explore. He will work with New York-based beauty licensee Batallure to bring the collection of products — billed as a high-end, global brand — to market. In the past, Batallure has produced fragrances for Abercrombie & Fitch and Express, among other clients.
Louboutin told WWD that his beauty assortment "has to mirror the quality of the shoes" he's been making for the past 20 years.
"Beauty products also have to do with empowering women," he said. "That's very much the job of the shoes I'm designing."