As if the balmy days of Spring weren't cause enough, this month's flurry of events and occasions call for plenty of celebration — and plenty of reasons to give the perfect gift. Here, 20 utterly elegant, splurge-worthy options to take you from Mother's Day to graduation — to every bridal shower and birthday in between — without missing a beat.
Posts for May 10th 2012
Organizers for Fashion's Night Out have set the dates for the fourth annual edition of the global shopping party.
All 19 territories that have their own version of Vogue will observe Fashion's Night Out this year, meaning there will be events in 19 countries spanning three weeks. Below, a breakdown of which nations will join the party, and when:
- Sept. 6: Great Britain, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Russia, Mexico, Australia, and Korea
- Sept. 7: China, India, Germany, and Russia
- Sept. 8: Taiwan and Japan
- Sept. 10 and 12: Brazil
- Sept. 13: Portugal, Italy, Turkey, The Netherlands, and Mexico
- Sept. 18: Italy
- Sept. 20 and 25: Greece
In past years, Fashion's Night Out in the US has been celebrated in more than one city at a time, and this year some other countries will follow suit. Italy, Germany, Russia, Mexico, Brazil, and Greece will all host parties in two or three style-obsessed cities — meaning there will be that many more opportunities to see fashion editors and industry folk doing things like this.
Photo: Anna Wintour and Diane von Furstenberg on Fashion's Night Out in 2011.
Sasha Pivovarova today released the first picture of her pregnant self since announcing in December that she was expecting a child. The black-and-white photo was taken by her husband, Igor Vishnyakov, and features her topless — to show off her stomach — and wearing a floor-length skirt. Pivovarova, 26, is estimated to be eight or nine months pregnant and hasn't commented on when she will deliver or what the sex of the child will be.
Those stories and more in our daily news roundup.
- Carey Mulligan will sell the gold-and-silver Prada dress she wore to Monday's Met Gala on eBay and will donate the proceeds from the sale to Oxfam America. The auction ends on May 19. Bidding started last night at $500. As of this post, the highest bid was $1,025. [The Cut]
- Vogue India will follow in the footsteps of its sister magazines in the United States, Italy, and the UK by establishing a Fashion Fund to support young designers. The magazine wants Indian talent to be able to compete with incoming established Western luxury brands. [Material World]
- Andrej Pejic was the only man to be cast in the Rosa Clara show during Barcelona's Bridal Week. Pejic has walked as many men's runways as women's runways and closed Jean Paul Gaultier's Summer 2011 couture show in a tiered wedding dress. [The Huffington Post]
- Menswear blogger Lawrence Schlossman says he and friend Kevin Burrows are responsible for the cult Tumblr F*ck Yeah Menswear. Schlossman and Burrows had been running the blog anonymously since October 2010 but stopped posting when they were offered a book deal last November. [The New York Observer]
- And finally, because it's Thursday, here's a picture of Karl Lagerfeld's cat Choupette playing with an iPad. [@KarlLagerfeld]
A pregnant Julia Restoin Roitfeld and a winking, smiling Agyness Deyn are among the cultural icons on the eight covers of i-D's Summer issue.
The "Lights, Camera, Action!"-themed issue, which hit newsstands today, features a treasure trove of stories about all of its cover subjects, including Dior artistic director Raf Simons and model Arizona Muse. The attention-getting covers also include Felicity Hayward, Andrej Pejic and Dree Hemingway, Léa Seydoux, and actor Andrew Garfield — who will star in this Summer's Spider-Man reboot. Take a look at all of the covers in the gallery.
Photos courtesy of i-D magazine.
Come cool weather, shoppers can expect to find all their favorite trends from the Fall 2012 runways at H&M. Boxy coats, colorblock bags, metallic-thread separates, and printed pants are fully represented, and there's even a heavy helping of bejeweled skirts, dresses, and accessories for extra (glittery) fun. Click through to see the entire offering — including men's — right here.
Photos Courtesy of H&M.
Anna Wintour kept the audience on The Colbert Report rolling in the aisles last night when she sat down to talk about the Costume Institute's new exhibit. When Wintour started lauding Miuccia Prada's work, host Stephen Colbert joked that he doesn't "really trust Prada. My understanding is, the devil wears Prada. And this is a Christian nation, Anna," he said.
To which Wintour could only reply, "That movie was so last year." Watch all of the hilarity below.