>> Those stories and more in our daily news roundup.
>> After a brief delay, Club Monaco fans will be able to buy the brand's clothes online this week. The new e-commerce site is still in a soft launch phase, but the brand's representatives told Fashionologie on Monday that its Facebook fans will get access to the site on Tuesday, and everyone else will be able to shop online Wednesday.
That'll be useful for fans of the brand who don't live anywhere near one of its stores. Club Monaco has just over 100 brick-and-mortar locations around the world, which means the site will be a useful tool as the brand continues to build a fan base. What we've seen of the site so far is functional and clean, but it's also pretty engaging. The brand's Tumblr, Culture Club, has prominent links on most of the pages, and some key products — like the women's black leather jacket in the P.S. You Need This section — are cleverly animated. And so long as the site stays stocked with a fresh assortment of products and new ways to entertain browsers and hardcore shoppers alike, we think it'll be a top shopping destination.
If you want early access to the site, you'll have to like Club Monaco on Facebook now. In the meantime, check out a few of the products we'll be buying when the site goes live.
>> Supermodel Claudia Schiffer hasn't aged a day since her first campaign for Guess in 1989, and now she's back to help the brand commemorate its 30th anniversary.
Schiffer posed for photographer Ellen von Unwerth — who shot the first few Guess campaigns in the '80s — for new photos that evoke the black-and-white sultriness of the original ads. Unveiled today, the new images capture the ageless Schiffer celebrating "30 sexy years!" of the brand. Schiffer told WWD that nothing has changed since she last worked with the brand: "Guess will always have a soft spot in my heart, and I'm excited that 23 years later we can still work together so successfully."
The pieces Schiffer wears in the ads are part of a capsule collection that will be sold this year. Take a look at a few images, old and new, here.
Pilati told the audience that assembled to listen to him talk at the French Institute Alliance Française Tuesday night that after decades of being in the fashion industry, he's not exactly chomping at the bit to create more clothes. "I started to work in fashion at a really early age, and somehow leaving Saint Laurent ended a chapter, a career I started almost 30 years ago," he said. "For some reason, I realized I haven't planned any move."
That reason could be a number of things — Pilati ran through his entire history in the fashion business, having worked in retail and as a stylist before hitting it big as a designer for Miu Miu and YSL. Fashion writer Jim Chi quoted Pilati in a tweet as saying that "it's pretty beautiful what's happened to me," referring to being replaced by former Dior Homme designer Hedi Slimane a few weeks ago. "I'm really happy, which is something I never believed I could be under these circumstances," he said. And while Pilati might not be sure what his future circumstances will be, he was more than happy to talk about his past.
On making YSL profitable with the addition of accessories: "I lived the business aspect of fashion since day one . . . It's not something that for me was like, 'What do you mean? I am a creator! Who cares if you can sell it?' No way . . . I put aside my ego, I put aside my freedom, and I worked hard to respond to what the market was asking for . . . You design something and you want every single woman or man to wear it. You know that they're going to pay for it, so you're going to get some money somewhere. Maybe it's my education, but I never thought, 'I hope nobody gets this except for me.'"
On leading YSL after Saint Laurent's death in 2008: "A lot of people started to ask me, 'Do you feel something has changed?' or 'Is it going to change for you now that he's not alive anymore?' At first, I said, 'No, I don't think so, why?' I've always tried to do my best, but in fact it had changed. I could really feel the fact that his physical presence wasn't there anymore. In a way it gave me a sense of freedom."
On how young people should approach working in fashion: "Don't lose your passion, be true to yourself . . . Go to work as soon as you can . . . Do any job in fashion. No matter what. I've been a salesperson in a shop. I've been an assistant, a stylist, done internships . . . I knew that I wanted to work in fashion. That for me was the same thing, to be a fashion designer came up, but you have to try many things."
Altuzarra confirmed the suspicions — and likely the hopes and dreams — of many when he told Fashionista that the pieces he created with Jenna Lyons and the rest of the J.Crew design team "will be coming out in a few weeks." While he didn't give away what the collection looks like — or even what it includes — it sounds like he struck the perfect balance between his high-fashion aesthetic and J.Crew's commercial appeal.
"Well, it was a really interesting project because it was like a conflation of their language — or of their world — [and] of our world and putting it together," he said. "And I think that was really interesting for me to work on."
The two runners-up for this year's award, Pamela Love and Creatures of the Wind, will also likely partner with J.Crew. Last year's Fashion Fund winner, Prabal Gurung, and runners-up, Eddie Borgo and Billy Reid, all created products for J.Crew. The Fund's winners started partnering with mass market brands in 2007, when Thakoon Panichgul partnered with The Gap to re-create the white shirt.
>> Dorino Della Valle, founder of the Italian fashion empire that owns Tod's, Roger Vivier, and Hogan, died Tuesday. He was 87.
WWD reported that Dorino, father of current Tod's Chairman Diego Della Valle and Vice Chairman Andrea Della Valle, died in the Italian town of Casette d'Ete. Dorino started making Tod's shoes in the basement of his home there in the 1920s, but the business didn't become a full-fledged luxury house until Diego expanded the operation with manufacturing in the 1970s.
The Della Valle family now owns a range of fashion companies and has a stake in other nonfashion businesses, like the RCS MediaGroup and the soccer team ACF Fiorentina. Calcio Sport reported that the team has suspended its regular practices and will observe two days of silence until Dorino's funeral on Thursday. Spokespeople for Tod's had not responded to a request for comment by the time of this posting.
>> Before Kenneth Cole celebrates the 30th birthday of his eponymous brand next year, he's going to do something he's wanted to do for decades — introduce a line of clothing that's more fashion focused and higher priced than the several lines he already creates.
The new line will be called Kenneth Cole Collection, and it will be in stores in July. Cole is introducing the line to editors and consumers this week but provided customers a sneak peek at the line with a behind-the-scenes video in which he speaks to the collection's ideas. Cole says he wanted to create clothing that people will want to wear longer than a season, and to that end the clothes in the Collection line use more luxurious fabrics and place a greater emphasis on styling. That won't come cheap — WWD reports that while most pieces in the longstanding Kenneth Cole New York line retail between $150 and $450, the Collection line will range from $400 for dresses to $900 and above for outerwear. But for Cole, the whole idea of this line was to create something his customers will want to invest in.
"Nobody empties their closet at the end of every season," Cole says. "We look for very special pieces to complement that which we already own and that which we hope to own. So the collection is meant to be one of those special pieces — or more."
>> In the wake of the rumored split of Jenna Lyons and her husband Vincent Mazeau — and her subsequent purported pairing with Courtney Crangi — Lyons and Mazeau's frequently published Park Slope townhouse is now listed for sale. They bought the seven-bedroom, 4,400-square-foot home, which was built in the 1880s, for $1.3 million in 2004. It is now listed for $3.75 million.
>> Update: The sale of Lyons's home has just closed, according to Curbed. A couple named Vincent and Tracy Martin bought the house for $4 million, seven percent over the original asking price. Lyons's new address is listed at the American Express Carriage House in New York's Tribeca neighborhood.
A spokesman for Wang told WWD that Wenyu Lu, whose suit against Wang and his brother Dennis claims he was forced to work up to 15-hour shifts without breaks, that Lu only made these claims against the company in retaliation. The spokesman said Lu was dismissed for bullying other employees, something that the company refused to tolerate.
"The claims regarding sweatshop conditions are completely untrue," the spokesman said. "In reality, this case was filed by an individual who was let go by the company as a result of serious harassment issues. We stand by our decision to promote a safe workplace environment for all employees regardless of false claims that may be waged against us in retaliation."
The story Lu's lawsuit told claims he was fired because he applied for worker's compensation after sustaining injuries on the job. The spokesman didn't address Flor Duante, another former employee who's suing the company and claims she was fired because she complained about having to work long hours.
Lu's suit was originally filed in Queens Supreme Court, but was refiled in Federal Court on Friday. Lawyers for Alexander Wang now have 20 days to reply to Lu and Duante's allegations in court.