Posts for May 7th 2008
>> When Irina Lazareanu isn't doing runway or editorial work, she must be shooting videos with boyfriend/friend/whatever Pete Doherty . . . the two have quite the YouTube archive going. The latest features Irina and Pete acting out a short murder mystery, with Irina as the assailant and Pete as the victim. I think my favorite part is the fact that Irina still has a tag visibly hanging out of her pants.
The fashion blogosphere is rife with news about designer sneaker collabos. Truth be told, we've grown a bit weary of the obsession with sneaker culture, but can't help ignore the fact that more and more artists and designers seem to be signing on to create limited edition athletic footwear. The term "running shoe" is perhaps somewhat of a misnomer, as you're unlikely to see these splashy designs on anyone who actually runs. The kids who wear them probably won't be engaging in any activities that'll require the innovative technology touted by the brand as a selling point. Is there money to be made from such ventures? We're hard-pressed to think of anyone who really sports Piet Mondrian-inspired Dunks. So what, exactly, is the point? Perhaps these high-end creations will be pictured in yet another tome on sneaker culture. Very few of them, however, will attain the cult status of a Y-3 or Alexander McQueen among the fashion cognoscenti.
High Snobiety reports on the most recent pairings, including the Hiroshi Fujiwara-designed Nike SB P-Rod 2,
Japanese store Tokishirazu's Starstream, a running shoe in fluo hues created for Mizuno, and Tsimori Chisato and New Balance celebrating the 20th anniversary of the 576 shoe with a pack of two colorful pairs depicting underwater themes. We like these stores and designers, so we'll assume that there's got to be a sound rhyme and reason behind these projects.
If there's anyone you can trust to put out a swimwear collection that's as beach-ready as it is fashionable it's Layla Pakzad of Salt Swimwear. Her line, started just a few years back, offers one and two-piece swimsuits in solid colors with dual functionality. The two-piece we're particularly found of is the Ruffle Triangle Top with removable neck straps for tanning. The first tanning lesson we learned, back in the 9th grade, was to get those headphones chords and bathing suit straps out of the way, and Pakzad has made it possible to do so with out looking like a fish out of water (squirming to to get them off). As for one-pieces, the Sienna Ruffle One Piece (left) proves that Salt knows a thing or two about being sweet as it's just about the only time we've seen an exposed belly button without thinking it looks kind of tacky. Check out our interview with Pakzad, the designer of Salt Swimwear, and our spread of her collection below.
What separates Salt from other swimwear lines?
Salt is unique because it fits the needs of many women. Our cuts are created to compliment all body types and our colors are chosen to match all skin tones. We design for the people.
With a background in fashion (everything from studying design to being a rep) do you think you'll ever expand the line to include more than swimwear?
Yes, Salt is soon to include beachwear. We have been cooking up some sexy day to night numbers. I love the idea of having pieces that you can effortlessly wear off the beach and into the sultry night..
What is the most challenging aspect of designing swimwear?
The fit! Especially for the one-piece. Everyone has a torso with a different length, so it is hard to gauge what would be best for all.
I know you are based on the West Coast, where swimwear is always in season, however, is there still a strong discrepancy between the winter and summer months? How do you prepare for these shifts in demand?
Salt is based in Venice Beach, California where swim is always in. There is definitely a proper swim season, but we are busy year round. During our slower months of August and September we turn our focus on promoting the brand.
What is something that most people don't know about having your own line (specifically swimwear)?
I think one big misconception about having your own line is the amount of time you actually get to spend designing. I design about 10% of the time and the other 90%, everything from A to Z...
Finally, one piece or two? Your preference on the beach.
That is a tough one. On the beach I would have to say, bikini. You just feel so youthful and free in a bikini. I do have to admit, I am a huge fan of wearing a one-piece out at night coupled with a great pair of high-waisted jeans.