Posts for May 5th 2008
>> Olga Sherer has been deposed from the Lanvin throne after two seasons. The new blood? Raquel Zimmermann and Liya Kebede, who were shot by Steven Meisel in March at Smashbox Studios in LA.
As for the look: "Downtown smoky burlesque woman," according to Meisel. "Rich rather than dangerous." Edward Enninful was on-hand styling, and Pat McGrath on makeup duty. The prototype images feature Liya, wearing a black strapless gown with ruffles down the front, and Raquel in a plum-colored dress that ties around the neck, both on a dark city street. The New Yorker writer who was on-set at the shoot says of the preliminary shots:
[Liya and Raquel] looked kinetic, caught in mid-motion, as if they were about to hail a cab. Behind the pair were the blurry lights of New York in the rain.
Lanvin ads never seem to disappoint, so I can't wait to see what these look like.
>> When Vanity Fair announced they were taking Gossip Girl star Blake Lively to the January couture shows, I was intrigued . . . especially because Blake was to be photographed for a fashion editorial during the trip.
Said pictures have finally surfaced as part of the May 2008 issue of VF, and I have to say, I'm more than a little disappointed. If you have couture and a camera at your disposal, why not have more fun with it? The best picture out of the bunch, above.
>> The video for Agyness Deyn's collaborative single, "Who," with New York-based band Five O'Clock Heroes has dropped — she both appears and provides vocals. Interesting that she chose to wear the Winehouse winged eyeliner for the gig . . .
We know you want to go out and get your Kir Royale on but it's sample sale season and because the weather is turning we think it's pretty valuable to get that ball rolling. Last we checked, by the end of the Summer we'd worn through many a shirt dress and pair of vintage shorts. We wouldn't be surprised if other busy fashionistas were in our boat.Today there's a Showroom Seven sample sale and you've still a few hours to wrap up those emails and hop in a taxi to the 7th avenue festivities. Just kidding! This one runs until the 15th. With the likes of Tony Cohen, Charlotte Ronson, and Sue Stemp on sale you'll likely get a few summer frocks you never knew you needed. On Tuesday it's up to 80% off Lewis Cho. That's a lot of Cho, man. It will be current season and pre-now but like, dresses are dresses right? See you there. When one of us told the other about the Sigerson Morrison sample sale on Wednesday , the other (involuntarily) replied: 'OMFG'. Yeah, you know, gorgeous summer sandals do pull at a fashionista's heart strings. The price point is around $100, the place will be packed.
Then, Reiss, modern purveyor of all things office-appropriate, is having their very own sample sale on Thursday so stock up on some sensible pencil skirts and really make a statement before the weekend hits. This sale requires an RSVP and, thankfully, they understand their position in the fashion world by holding the event from 6-9pm. On Friday, Rogan hits Barney's. Prepare a safety bag with first aide kit and some paper fans--this one's going to be a doozie.
>> In the first non-model Vogue Italia cover since Steven Meisel's paparazzi spoof of Nicole Richie in October 2006, Eva Mendes takes the cake. Meisel shot her for the May 2008 issue at a private home in the Pacific Palisades, and has also worked with her recently on Calvin Klein's Fall 2008 fragrance and underwear campaigns. Is some kind of behind-the-scenes deal afoot between Eva, Steven, and Calvin Klein? Or has Steven just found another new favorite?
>> Chanel announced today that the rumors of Audrey Tautou replacing Nicole Kidman in the next No.5 film are indeed true. The new short film will be directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, whom Audrey has worked with twice before on Amelie and A Very Long Engagement, and is set to be released in 2009. It looks like Chanel subliminally approves of Audrey's upcoming role as Coco Chanel herself . . .
*image: © Emanuele Scorcelletti for Chanel
UPDATE 5/5/08: New additions have been made, with asterisks.
>> The Costume Institute Gala is less than one week away, and Anna's already sending her message: If you want your picture in Vogue's coverage of the event, you need to go bold with the superhero theme. No surprises there, but as for the who, what, wear, here's the list that's rumored so far:
- Alberta Ferretti: Diane Kruger, Jennifer Lopez, Ivanka Trump*
- Bill Blass: Jourdan Dunn*
- Burberry: Lily Donaldson, Rose Huntington-Whiteley
- Calvin Klein: Fergie, Eva Mendes, Rachel Bilson, Chace Crawford*
- Chanel: Kate Bosworth, Thandie Newton*, Audrey Tautou*, Anna Wintour*
- Chris Benz: Elettra Rossellini Wiedemann*
- Christian Dior Beaute: Cameron Diaz*
- Diane von Furstenberg: Ashley Olsen, Mary-Kate Olsen, Ellen Barkin*
- Dolce & Gabbana: Scarlett Johansson, Iman, David Bowie, Jason Lewis*
- Giorgio Armani: Julia Roberts, Katie Holmes, Tom Cruise, George Clooney, Camilla Belle, Sarah Larson*, David Beckham*, Victoria Beckham*
- Givenchy: Christina Ricci
- Marc Jacobs: Sofia Coppola, Karen Elson, Rachel Feinstein, and Helena Christensen
- Marchesa: Eva Longoria*, Dita Von Teese*
- Marni: Amanda Brooks
- Michael Kors: Kristin Davis*
- Miuccia Prada: Tilda Swinton, Elizabeth Banks, Kate Betts
- Missoni: Mischa Barton*
- Nina Ricci: Bee Shaffer*
- Oscar de la Renta: Iekeliene Stange
- Peter Som: Maggie Gyllenhaal*
- Phi: Emmy Rossum, Natasha Poly
- Philip Crangi: Caroline Trentini
- Proenza Schouler: Tory Burch, Jessica Stam
- Pucci: Joy Bryant, Anja Rubik, Coco Rocha
- Rag & Bone: Sasha Pivovarova
- Rodarte: Guinevere van Seenus
- RM by Roland Mouret: Rosamund Pike
- Stella McCartney: Kate Moss
- Thierry Mugler: Naomi Watts*
- Vera Wang: Karolina Kurkova
- Versace: Molly Sims, Isabeli Fontana, Mario Testino*, Janet Jackson*, Matt Dillon*
- Yigal Azrouel: Katie Lee Joel*
Other celebrity attendees: Renee Zellweger, Mary J. Blige, Claire Danes, Mischa Barton, LeBron James; Rumored: Hilary Duff, Zoe Kravitz, Lake Bell, Gisele Bundchen, Tom Brady, Liev Schreiber*, Kimora Lee Simmons*, Djimon Hounsou*, Alexis Bryan*, Andy Roddick*, Brooklyn Decker*, Monica Seles*, Ed Westwick*, Blake Lively*, Zoe Kravitz*, Olivia Thirlby*, Lily Collins*